The meeting was called to order by President John Fike at 9:00 a.m. with 22 present.
The Secretary’s minutes of the July 2, 2014 were approved on a motion by Babs Lynde. The motion was seconded and passed.
Treasurer Pauline Moore Treasurer’s report was given and Gussie Graves made a motion to approve the report. The motion was seconded and passed.
The Treasurer commented that she had changed a few things around on the Treasurer’s report to make it clearer. $4,575 has been collected already this year in memberships with more coming. The goal this year for memberships is $5,000 and it looks like that goal will be met. More money has been spent on marketing this last year with good results.
By-laws: Vice President Todd LeBlanc has made some minor changes which will need to be voted.
The recommended changes are as follows:
- ARTICLE III, Section 3. Officers: President, Vice president, Secretary, and Treasurer shall be elected by the membership at the Annual Meeting and shall be a regular voting member of the Board.
- ARTICLE III, Section 7. Quorum: For the purposes of transacting official business, a quorum shall consist of a majority of the voting members of the Board.
- ARTICLE III, Section 8. Vacancy in Office: When a vacancy on the Board occurs for the office of the Vice President, Secretary, or Treasurer during the fiscal year, the Board shall appoint any regular member in good standing to fill the vacancy, who shall serve until the close of the next annual meeting, excepting when a vacancy occurs in the office of President, the Vice President shall immediately succeed thereto.
- ARTICLE VI, Section 1. Annual Meeting: An Annual Meeting of the members shall be held during each fiscal year following a fourteen (14) day written notice to the members of the Association.
Lisa Truchon from Lincoln moved to approve by-law changes and recommend the changes to annual meeting. The motion was seconded and passed.
The recommended slate of officers for the upcoming year is as follows:
- PRESIDENT—John Fike
- VICE PRESIDENT—Todd LeBlanc
- SECRETARY—Mimi Burstein
- TREASURER—Pauline Moore
Babs Lynde from Westminster moved to approve the slate of officers and recommend them at the annual meeting. The motion was seconded and passed.
It was suggested that perhaps the VALA annual meeting could be held at the same time/location as Clerks/Treasurers annual meeting or perhaps at a TOEC, Town Fair, or Government Day. Town Fair and Government day usually attracts some Selectboard members, so those would be good venues for VALA’s annual meeting. This would hopefully help bridge the disconnect between Listers and Select boards.
Louise Ferris-Burt from Bethel moved to add “Events” as a line item of $500 in the budget with sub-categories. The motion was seconded and passed.
Louise Ferris-Burt moved to bring forward the budget as changed to the annual meeting. The motion was seconded and passed.
Lisa Truchon stated that a fabulous audit will be presented at the Annual Meeting.
Penny Allyn Membership Chair reported —80 are signed up for the annual meeting thus far. This is a record. Currently there are 88 member towns, 29 new towns, 83 new members and 12-14 professional members. $4,575 has been paid to date which is $55 over last year’s budget. One of the strongest selling points for getting people to join is that the more people become involved, the bigger VALA’s voice in the state and an organization to be reckoned with because they are respected across all levels
Penny Allyn is putting together gift bags and name tags for the annual meeting. There will be two locations for sign in—one for those who have already registered and one for those registering at the door. For any town pre-registered, their name will go into a bucket and the winning town will receive a year’s free membership. Todd said the business meeting will be short. There will be time allowed for discussion, PV&R will make their comments and awards presentation, and the Lister of the Year Award will be announced. Lunch will be buffet style with accommodations made for a vegetarian lunch. There will be a Lister Forum and break- out sessions in the afternoon. Also included will be trivia games and a Calcutta raffle. Winners must be present to get their prizes.
After further discussion about the annual meeting, Penny Allyn moved to adjourn. The motion was seconded and the meeting adjourned at approximately 10:00 a.m.