VERMONT ASSESSORS & LISTERS
BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING
Wednesday February 4th, 2016 9:00 am – 12:00
RANDOLPH TOWN OFFICE, RANDOLPH, VT
Note: special meeting specifically to focus on legislation of concern to VALA
Other items typically on VALA meeting agendas will be resumed at the March Meeting.
Proof of Quorum –Delegate Count
Secretary’s Minutes – January meeting –Tamsin Coon
Website and emails update
H500 : Current Use: allows one appurtenant or accessory dwelling to be part of primary dwelling under program
H544 : Abatement criteria add: when justice or equity requires.
“Lighten the Load” bill
- CLA/COD town appeals : beyond the Value Appeals Board step would eliminate the Superior Court, straight to Supreme Court
- Remove the option for Superior Court in appealing property values to state level.
PVR proposals for Misc Tax Bill:
- Section 6 per parcel payment revisions
- Section 6 education cost for courses to be free for towns.
- Section 7
- Section 8 Hearing officer “may” do an inspection of properties, rather than “shall”
Revising the process for state level property appeals :
- PVR suggests replacing state hearing officers with a “Valuation Appeal Board”
- PVR point of view, pros and cons
- Meeting attendees pros and cons
- Conclusions for moving forward
- Next action steps: this year ? or next year as a separate bill, need someone to sponsor.
Equalization Study committee : if there is a proposal for this legislative session