The Vermont Assessors and Listers Association (VALA) is an association dedicated to meeting the needs of Vermont’s listers and assessors.
VALA has the following objectives:
- Train and educate to improve the standards of assessment
- Provide a clearinghouse for the collection of information
- Provide a unified voice in the Vermont Legislature
VALA activites include:
- Board of Directors Bi-Monthly Meeting *open to the public!*
- Annual Membership Meeting
- Publication – Minutes of Board Meetings
- Michael P. Cyprian Lister of the Year Award
- Educational Seminars/Workshops
- VALA Quarterly Newsletter
Please read our Constitution and By-Laws
You & Your VALA Organization by Most Recent Past President John Fike
As requested at the annual meeting, here is the original statute that created Current Use:
32 V.S.A. § 3751. Statement of purpose.
The purpose of this subchapter is to encourage and assist the maintenance of Vermont’s productive agricultural and forest land; to encourage and assist in their conservation and preservation for future productive use and for the protection of natural ecological systems; to prevent the accelerated conversion of these lands to more intensive use by the pressure of property taxation at values incompatible with the productive capacity of the land; to achieve more equitable taxation for undeveloped lands; to encourage and assist in the preservation and enhancement of Vermont’s scenic natural resources; and to enable the citizens of Vermont to plan its orderly growth in the face of increasing development pressures in the interests of the public health, safety and welfare.
Added 1977, No. 236 (Adj. Sess.), § 1.
- International Association of Assessing Officers
- Vermont Department of Taxes Property Valuation and Review
- The PVR Lister’s Handbook
- Appraisal Institute
- Lincoln Institute of Land Policy
- Northeastern Regional Association of Assessing Officers
- New Hampshire Association of Assessing Officials
- The New England Municipal Resource Center’s, Ltd